Great Cannadian Pizza Sauce
That wonderful wafting aroma of herbs, garlic, and onion added to the sweet scent of tomatoes slowly cooking on the stove top. The first taste of those flavour combinations from the wooden spoon as they fill your mouth...
We're making pizza sauce, and nothing says pizza sauce like Canada right? Well, little known fact, Canada actually has one of the largest Italian populations outside of Italy, making up just under 5% of the entire population of Canada.
Here's a tasty "Canadianized" take on pizza sauce, with a little "special" Accoutrements touch:
What You'll Need:
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 2 tbsp Canna extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can diced unseasoned tomatoes
- ½ tbsp real maple syrup
- ½ red onion, diced.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 Bay leaves
- Pepper to taste
- Medium saucepan
- *optional - immersion blender
*Optional add ons – splash of red wine, chili pepper flakes to taste, fresh basil to taste, ½ tbsp. chili powder.
- In a medium sized saucepan add olive oil and heat pot on high, add oregano, basil, onion, garlic, and cayenne (optional chili flakes, chili powder, splash of red wine). Mix into the oil using a wooden spoon.
- Let herbs and cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until onion softens, reduce heat to a medium-low and stir in the diced tomatoes, maple syrup, salt, and bay leaves (optional fresh basil).
- Leave to simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. Add pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot with lid leave for 40 min stirring very occasionally. Remove pot from heat, take out Bay leaves. Optional: blend sauce with immersion blender.
- Let sauce cool or place in containers for storage in the fridge/freezer.
Happy baking, and as always, please consume responsibly.